Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Social Crisis and Coronavirus

By Stefany Saltos

This report is no normal report. The source will be myself and the experiences I have while working at ShopRite during the coronavirus. The reason why I am referring to it as a social crisis is due to the social reaction of this pandemic.

It all started after President Trump announced his State of Union last week. I remember going into work and not being able to get to the time clock due to the amount of people on line waiting to get checked-out. Now I have been working at ShopRite for a few weeks and I can admit I am not one to watch the news, so of course it was a surprise to me to see that many people.

Regardless I was able to check-in and I started working. I was put behind a register and started checking people out. In that moment I realized how terrified people were getting, and how media influences their everyday life. I started asking myself, did they not realize that even in a quarantine supermarkets and pharmacies would still be open? Did they not do their own research? Did these people really only rely on what social media and the news tell them? So I started asking the customers, why were they buying so much, why were they panicking, and why were they thinking that we’d close?

And I’d always get the same answers, “well I saw it on Facebook to stock up in case the state would lock us in.” or I also got, “who knows how long this will last.” You could imagine my response, “As long as we’re open ma’am/sir we will always have the essentials like food and water. That will not go away as long as you guys take an appropriate amount.”

To this they would say, “well I’d rather have more then be left with none.” And so that is how after that one night, after being on the cash register for 4 hours back to back, after seeing the hundreds of dollars being wasted, I realized that the media and the news is all this population needs to turn themselves into madmen.

After we closed that night, we moved hand carts with returns and it took us two hours to put them back, and even after that there were still a few left. After that night, we were left with no toilet paper and water. For the next few days it was the same. There was a limit on water, people would complain about the limit. They would buy two waters, go leave it in their cars, come back and buy more. I had families claim they live in separate households just so they can take six to nine cases of water.

After two days we were left with no eggs or milk, mothers that had WIC weren’t able to get those items because they weren’t available. We ran out of bread, pasta, pasta sauce, canned vegetables, fresh vegetables and fruits. And even after the limits were set people would find loopholes, they would put in a different membership number to get more stuff, because the limit was per customer, they would go to different cashiers after each purchase so we wouldn’t recognize them. It got to the point where I was getting frustrated with the costumers, but there was nothing I can do.

One afternoon I went in and a lady needed assistance, so I helped her get waters, she was claiming she was getting some for her neighbor so I told her she could take two more. Then towards closing, I see her again but this time she was with her husband and he had his own cart. They were both getting more waters and trying to buy more cleaning supplies, because I was her cashier I remembered what she bought, so I went to tell my manager. I told her that she already came this afternoon, it’s not fair that people get to do this. There are elderly people that also need these supplies but when they get here they’re all gone because people like that woman try to take everything. And my manager told me there was nothing she could do, as long as it goes thru the registers system she can’t do anything about it. This frustrated me because after that lady already got her supplies and more, she still wanted more.

It shows you the extent people go, such madness, for no reason. I understand the difficulty this situation has brought to this country, this state, but acting like madmen isn’t going to solve the problem. People don’t realize that the more they take for themselves the less they leave for other people. That is what I try to tell people when they ask me why we placed limits, I tell them “because there are also people that need the same supplies as you, and it’s only fair that they get a chance to also have those supplies.” And then they’re either nasty with me or they understand.

The point of this article is to show the extent people are going to, and I don’t know if it’s because they are scared or worried or both, but what happened to being respectful of others and understanding, what happened to people having manners. Nowadays with what is going on, I feel like that was all thrown out the window. Instead of a community working together they’re working against one another. That’s the sad part, because then as a country we will be the ones to doom ourselves, and run our land out of resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment