Monday, December 14, 2020

A Teenage Travel Adventure

By Nia Rosato

For my experiential essay I’m writing about my trip to Arizona. I was sixteen years old and I was flying on a plane with my younger brother by ourselves for the first time. My uncle lives there so we thought we would go out and visit him. We spent a little over a week in Scottsdale, Arizona. After landing, I went to call my uncle so he could come pick us up but the phone call just kept going to voicemail. Right then and there I knew I’d encountered a problem.

At this point I knew I had to act like a complete adult and figure out a way to get to my uncle's house and keep my calm because I had my fourteen year old brother with me. To fix the problem I ran into I had to get into a shuttle that took me to his house. For first timers of flying somewhere by themselves, so far the experience was not going great. Upon arriving my uncle walks out the front door; turns out that he was sleeping the entire time that I called him. No wonder he didn’t pick up any of my phone calls.

My brother and I decided not to let that incident ruin our time on vacation so we just left it alone. Over the next few days we all did some very fun and exciting things. We went hiking at Tom’s Thumb Trail. It was extremely fun and hot outside. During our hike we saw a helicopter rescue taking place because some people who were hiking on a mountain nearby were hot and stuck and needed to be rescued. At this spot that is something that happens quite often.

Another day we decided to take a drive and spent the entire day at Sedona slide rock. This place was so fun. There were streams of flowing water going down rocks that were smooth so you were able to slide down them. There also were cliffs that we went cliff jumping off of. The water was freezing cold because it was coming from the stream. The trip to Arizona was very informative. We went to Montezuma’s Castle National Monument and saw how the ancient housing was built into a cliff.

After everything the fun started coming to an end. It was time for us to make our way to the airport to fly back home. I could tell that my uncle was sad we were leaving. After checking in and waiting for our flight, the flight kept getting delayed. It got delayed so many times that my uncle wanted to get something to eat but something inside of me told me not to leave because our flight was going to be called soon so we stayed. My uncle stated that if we didn't go with him to find something to eat he was going to leave. We stayed. Turns out for a second time within one trip he managed to leave us at the airport by ourselves.

Overall, my experience of flying at such a young age without an adult was not the greatest. Especially with the fact that my brother and I got left at the airport in the beginning of the trip and the end of the trip. Although my experience was not that great, I did learn a few things. I learned that you have to have a strong mindset and be prepared for any type of situation. Also, that sometimes you need to be able to hold yourself up and act like a complete adult at a young age. I feel like this related to this class because although it was a vacation I still learned how things were established some time ago and it was a life lesson most of all. This trip helped me become a better person and someone who can think on the spot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment