Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Dealing with Covid-19

By Catherine Gordon

This year has been full of many ups and downs, but Covid-19 definitely takes the cake for the worst possible part of the year. Like everyone else around the world, Covid-19 has taken a huge toll on me mentally and physically. It has been an extremely tough year, but I am adapting and beginning to learn how to cope with the mental and physical blockages that are thrown our way due to Covid.

When lockdown first began, I wasn’t prepared for our lives to alter in the significant way in which it did. No one had planned on being in lockdown for so long, for we didn’t realize just how dangerous Covid really is. The first month in lockdown wasn’t too bad. I really enjoyed the family time because before Covid, as a 19-year-old, I was out with my friends all the time. It was almost like a break from regular life. As the months began to pass, my mental health began to decline pretty fast. Not being able to see people, hug people, and live my life not in fear were things I began to miss quickly. I am a very social and sentimental person, so not being able to see people or hug my grandparents are things that impacted me a lot.

Now that we have been in “quarantine” for a little over 9 months, I have begun to learn how to deal with my sadness and frustration with the life we are living right now. I have started doing physical things to get my mind off the things that are bothering me, such as yoga, cooking, working out, etc. This is benefitting me not only now, but for the future as well. I look forward to the day where things finally get back to normal and I can see my friends and family again freely.

Another big part of Covid that has taken a toll on me is watching the news and hearing about the deaths, the people suffering, and the effects of Covid. Covid is very easy to get, so making sure that we are social distancing and taking the correct steps in living our lives today is super important. When I watch the news and I hear about all of the new deaths caused by Covid it makes me feel a bit selfish for being sad about not being able to see my friends and family. Many people have died from Covid, some people I even know, so when I think about that it makes me determined to not put myself and others around me at risk.

Actually, I think I had Covid in February before lockdown even began. I was sick for a really long time, had the symptoms, and was tested for the flu and strep on three separate occasions in which they all came back negative. I recovered and have no effects still from it, so I am not as concerned for me as I am for my mom, dad, and others who are at higher risk. The anxiety I get from Covid overall is still something I am struggling with a lot, but I am trying to find ways to reduce my anxiety. Once again, yoga and meditation are activities that have been benefitting me a lot, so I really enjoyed our breaks in class where we would meditate.

Overall, Covid is extremely serious, so it is going to take a toll on people whether they want it to or not. It is something that we have no control over right now, but we do have control over following the correct precautions in order to keep ourselves and others around us safe. I am working on my mental health a lot at the moment, praying for life to return to normal, but in the meantime I need to focus on adapting and trying to live my happiest life in these unfortunate circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment