Saturday, May 1, 2010

Experiential: Learning from Global Warming

By Amanda Valenti

To fulfill my experiential component for Environmental Writing, I did several activities this semester. For the final project I viewed Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” as well as “The Great Global Warming Swindle”. After watching these documentaries, I decided it was not enough to write a well informed magazine article. I took to the web and did extensive research on the global warming topic. After reading many articles and documents on the subject along with the notes I had taken from the documentaries, I felt informed enough to put together a well researched magazine article.

In addition to doing research for the article, I decided to take my own advice and lessen the impact I am having on the earth. I stopped buying water bottles and walk where I can. I also eat less red meat and more vegetables. Coffee has always been a weakness of mine, but after many experiments I think I can make a better cup of coffee than Starbucks. I put my coffee in a reusable thermos and brew it at my house now. Not only have I saved a lot of money these past few weeks, I like to think of myself as an experienced barista now.

It has been a rather hard task to get others to do the same, but I realized I can only change my own ways and encourage others to do the same. This was actually a great experience and had a larger impact on my life than I thought it would. At first I was just doing research for a magazine article, but it wound up being much more than that. This was a wonderful experience and I am glad I chose the topic I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment