Thursday, March 22, 2018

Spring Days Full of Snow

Teaneck Creek Conservancy (photo: Jan Barry)

By Dominique Otiepka

In celebration of today’s snow storm, I went to the Teaneck Creek Conservancy for a nature walk to explore the woods and find solace, away from the demands of life’s business.  I decided to take my family members, since they were all given the day off.  The wind was cold, and the snow was wet, but the snow created such beauty laying on the trees and land formations.  

Whatever the weather is outside, I love going on hikes or walks, because I am able to feel separated from the work world and find depth in the intricacies of the natural environment.  On the walks in this particular area, my mother reminisces of the times she spent here since she grew up in Teaneck, as did my grandparents.  It is interesting to hear her stories of playing and swimming in the brook that trickles throughout the conservancy’s parkland. It is the same stream present today, that we both go walking in with our knee-high boots in search of frogs and fish. 

There is a beautiful array of wildlife within this wooded area, even though highway traffic and a highly populated suburb surrounds it.  On our hike, we noticed two woodpeckers, mallard ducks and multiple blue jays. There are approximately 132 different types of birds that have been seen in this preserve. It is said that there are owls lingering in these woods as well, and I am always on the search for them.  There are always different nature events hosted here for the community that I am interested in and look forward to.

This area encompasses wetlands and trails measuring 1.3 miles and has been restored after being polluted with tires and road construction debris over the past years.  It is a place where I can appreciate and marvel at the natural environment, being that it is in such a somewhat secret, yet unique place. There is a constructed circle for meditation purposes, ecological art exhibits and different trails to explore.   

This place is one that is close to my home and heart, because of its history and depth within my family.  Exploring it keeps the snow days full of fun and amazement, and I love spending time in it throughout each season.  Its beauty continues to change throughout the year and I always find myself in search of new birds or wildlife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment